Thursday, September 25, 2008

reading response

I disagree with Edmondson's final statement where he says that Universities are an inefficient method of learning. I know that personally I am learning more here then I ever did in high school. Even though there are some very large classes in which there is very little or no interaction between the students and the professor, I still feel like I am learning actively in those classes. I can understand why it is difficult for some students to learn in such an environment, and maybe a traditional university just isn't for them. There are plenty of other alternatives, and other colleges that are small and only offer small classes. I think that he is arguing this on too broad a spectrum, and I think that only certain people feel this way.
I do agree with some of the points that he makes though, such as when he says that college age students are swayed easily by the media, like tv, the internet and radio. I also agree that we are in a consumerist society, and that money is essential to almost everything.

No comments: